From: Michael Thompson <mike@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 161 UDP Constant Connections
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:54:31
1 On Friday 08 July 2005 15:32, Tim Igoe wrote:
2 > Michael Thompson wrote:
3 > > This IP 212.56.68.108 has been attempting to contact Port 161 UDP for
4 > > Months.
5 >
6 > Are you running SNMP on your box? Port 161 is SNMP, if you have it open
7 > to the outside world, could it be collecting data - hence often
8 > connections?
9
10 Nope. It is closed off and I dont have SNMP running.
13 > > No when I try and run a NMAP scan against the box, I get my own logs
14 > > filled with the NMAP Scan. It is like 212.56.68.108 is mirroring to my IP
15 > > Space. And I dont Understand why!
16 > >
17 > > The connecting IP is in my ISP range, however it has no rDNS which the
18 > > ISP would do according to their technical support. It maps back to
19 > > hugeglobal.net
20 >
21 > Contact your ISPs support department - see if they can help at all?
22
23 Have done, they are looking into it, but they admit it is strange and have no
24 clue.
27 > > I'm not entirely sure it is a customer's machine, even though it is
28 > > within the ISP IP range. It's rDNS shows it is
29 > >
30 > > hugeglobal.net.
31 > >
32 > > The odd thing to me, is if one does a lookup on hugeglobal.net one gets
33 > >
34 > > 82.103.128.2 and the rDNS of that is
35 > >
36 > > e82-103-128-2s.easyspeedy.com
37 >
38 > Possible the original hugeglobal.net machine has since changed ISPs but
39 > the old IP has been re-assigned without the rDNS entry being changed?
42 That is possible, but the ISP says they are still in control of the subnet.
43
44 > > Any one got any ideas?
45 >
46 > you could just try blackholing the IP at your firewall, or as i've
47 > already mentioned - try and contact your ISP with all you know and see
48 > if htey can shed any light on it - its possible a comprimised box.
49
50 It is firewalled, and blacklisted. Has been for months. I am just curious as
51 to why it is coming back to me.
54 Mike
55
56 To see the world in a grain of sand,
57 and to see heaven in a wild flower,
58 hold infinity in the palm of your hands,
59 and eternity in an hour.
60
61 GnuGPG KeyID:=FC0D8D9A
62 --