From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Buying a low-cost printer for Linux
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 20:48:08
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2008-12-04, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> I have a friend that owned a business that was closed on weekends.
6 >> Every Monday we had to fan the paper and take out the toner cartridge
7 >> and give it a little shake. I have heard that if it is a humid location
8 >> that you either have to leave the printer on or print a lot. The claim
9 >> was the toner would start to clump from the moister in the air. I have
10 >> never seen that happen myself.
13 > I've had an HP LaserJet 1200 for about 4-5 years now. I only
14 > print once or twice a month, and I've never had a single
15 > problem. It's still on the original toner cartridge, and I
16 > don't think I've even got through an entire ream of paper yet.
17 >
18 > It does Postscript, and there's a .ppd file for it, so it "just
19 > works" with CUPS. It gets pretty hot/humid in the summer and
20 > pretty cold/dry in the winter, and it doesn't seem to affect
21 > the printer.
22 >
23 > It doesn't do color, but I write all my code in black and white
24 > anyway...
28 My friend had two printers. I think it was the OLD Apple printer that
29 did that. The HP, in another room, never had a problem. Might I add,
30 the HP printed faster too. ;-)
31
32 We seem to like HP on this list. lol
33