From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] printing problems
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 08:19:50
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, November 03, 2015 10:38:18 PM Dale wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On 03/11/2015 18:05, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> I don't know if this will help or not but since you seem to be grasping
6 >>>> at straws, grab this one and hold on for dear life. For the longest
7 >>>> time, every time hplip, cups and friends were updated, I had to delete
8 >>>> and readd my printer. If I didn't, printing was not going to happen,
9 >>>> period. I might also add, I'd restart cups just to be sure, after the
10 >>>> delete and again after the readd. Once I did that, printing worked like
11 >>>> a charm. If I didn't know better, I'd think the ink lasted longer too.
12 >>>> ROFL Just kidding but . . . . If nothing else works, may want to try
13 >>>> that.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Oh, the last time I did the setup, I ignored cups completely. I went in
16 >>>> as root and set up the printer using the hplip command. That was at
17 >>>> least a couple years ago. Since then, whenever I get ready to print,
18 >>>> and replace the dried out cartridges, it just works. I have a D4260,
19 >>>> currently out of ink, again.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> I think the actual command is hp-setup. I use KDE and that opens a GUI
22 >>>> to do the set up. Generally, it is just clicking next. It just seems
23 >>>> to figure out the rest itself, unless you have more than one printer
24 >>>> hooked up then you may have to select something.
25 >>>>
26 >>>> None of this may help but maybe one will. May be worth a shot. ;-)
27 >>> That's my experience too. I print very little by for ages now everytime
28 >>> a change was made to a printer or cups (even teeny minor ones), I'd
29 >>> delete and re-add all printers plus restart cups.
30 >>>
31 >>> Why does cups behave like this? Buggered if I know. I have an
32 >>> unexpressable opinion based on a certain fruity vendor who seems better
33 >>> at suing Samsung than actually writing code....
34 >> For some reason, cups just doesn't like HP, at least in my case. I've
35 >> had that problem for ages until a couple years or so ago. I always used
36 >> cups to setup and mange the printer. After getting enough of it one
37 >> day, I stopped cups. I then set up the printer with hplip. It took
38 >> less than a minute to do to, just keep clicking next for me. After I
39 >> did that, I don't think I have had to delete/readd the printer since. I
40 >> know I have updated both cups and hplip too, likely several times. No
41 >> telling what has been updated that they depend on.
42 >>
43 >> Maybe I got lucky or maybe just not using cups works. Odd thing is,
44 >> when I rebooted later, cups started automatically and the printer still
45 >> works and the printer shows up in cups. It's been working ever since.
46 >> So, kick cups out of the way, set it up using only hplip stuff and see
47 >> what happens. Heck, it just may work. :/
48 >>
49 >> Now if I can just get Seamonkey and Firefox to stop defaulting to
50 >> English (United Kingdom) instead of English (United States) I'll be even
51 >> happier. o_O
52 >>
53 >> Dale
54 >>
55 >> :-) :-)
56 >>
57 >> P. S. I got my elcheapo ebay cartridges today. It still prints fine.
58 >>
59 >> :-D Oooo, pretty colors too.
60 > Same here.
61 > I use hp-setup to configure the printer once and then it "just works" without
62 > further thinking. (Apart from having to switch it on)
63 >
64 > I stopped using inkjet/deskjet/... printers years ago after having another one
65 > ruined by dried up ink.
66 > Currently happily using a laserprinter with a network-cable :)
67 >
68 > --
69 > Joost
74 I wish I could get me a laser printer. I'm dipping off into electronics
75 again and will have to make PCBs and they say laser printers work
76 better, although I have had a couple tell me ink jets work just as good
77 now, maybe better. Still, toner doesn't seem to mess up like cartridges
78 do. Just keep the stuff in a relatively dry spot and it's ready to go
79 when ever you need to print.
80
81 Glad to know that the way I set up my printer works for someone else
82 too. Hmmmmm.
83
84 Dale
85