From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] printing problems
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 08:44:38
1 On Wednesday, November 04, 2015 02:19:40 AM Dale wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, November 03, 2015 10:38:18 PM Dale wrote:
4 > >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > >>> On 03/11/2015 18:05, Dale wrote:
6 > >>>> I don't know if this will help or not but since you seem to be grasping
7 > >>>> at straws, grab this one and hold on for dear life. For the longest
8 > >>>> time, every time hplip, cups and friends were updated, I had to delete
9 > >>>> and readd my printer. If I didn't, printing was not going to happen,
10 > >>>> period. I might also add, I'd restart cups just to be sure, after the
11 > >>>> delete and again after the readd. Once I did that, printing worked
12 > >>>> like
13 > >>>> a charm. If I didn't know better, I'd think the ink lasted longer too.
14 > >>>> ROFL Just kidding but . . . . If nothing else works, may want to try
15 > >>>> that.
16 > >>>>
17 > >>>> Oh, the last time I did the setup, I ignored cups completely. I went
18 > >>>> in
19 > >>>> as root and set up the printer using the hplip command. That was at
20 > >>>> least a couple years ago. Since then, whenever I get ready to print,
21 > >>>> and replace the dried out cartridges, it just works. I have a D4260,
22 > >>>> currently out of ink, again.
23 > >>>>
24 > >>>> I think the actual command is hp-setup. I use KDE and that opens a GUI
25 > >>>> to do the set up. Generally, it is just clicking next. It just seems
26 > >>>> to figure out the rest itself, unless you have more than one printer
27 > >>>> hooked up then you may have to select something.
28 > >>>>
29 > >>>> None of this may help but maybe one will. May be worth a shot. ;-)
30 > >>>
31 > >>> That's my experience too. I print very little by for ages now everytime
32 > >>> a change was made to a printer or cups (even teeny minor ones), I'd
33 > >>> delete and re-add all printers plus restart cups.
34 > >>>
35 > >>> Why does cups behave like this? Buggered if I know. I have an
36 > >>> unexpressable opinion based on a certain fruity vendor who seems better
37 > >>> at suing Samsung than actually writing code....
38 > >>
39 > >> For some reason, cups just doesn't like HP, at least in my case. I've
40 > >> had that problem for ages until a couple years or so ago. I always used
41 > >> cups to setup and mange the printer. After getting enough of it one
42 > >> day, I stopped cups. I then set up the printer with hplip. It took
43 > >> less than a minute to do to, just keep clicking next for me. After I
44 > >> did that, I don't think I have had to delete/readd the printer since. I
45 > >> know I have updated both cups and hplip too, likely several times. No
46 > >> telling what has been updated that they depend on.
47 > >>
48 > >> Maybe I got lucky or maybe just not using cups works. Odd thing is,
49 > >> when I rebooted later, cups started automatically and the printer still
50 > >> works and the printer shows up in cups. It's been working ever since.
51 > >> So, kick cups out of the way, set it up using only hplip stuff and see
52 > >> what happens. Heck, it just may work. :/
53 > >>
54 > >> Now if I can just get Seamonkey and Firefox to stop defaulting to
55 > >> English (United Kingdom) instead of English (United States) I'll be even
56 > >> happier. o_O
57 > >>
58 > >> Dale
59 > >>
60 > >> :-) :-)
61 > >>
62 > >> P. S. I got my elcheapo ebay cartridges today. It still prints fine.
63 > >>
64 > >> :-D Oooo, pretty colors too.
65 > >
66 > > Same here.
67 > > I use hp-setup to configure the printer once and then it "just works"
68 > > without further thinking. (Apart from having to switch it on)
69 > >
70 > > I stopped using inkjet/deskjet/... printers years ago after having another
71 > > one ruined by dried up ink.
72 > > Currently happily using a laserprinter with a network-cable :)
73 > >
74 > > --
75 > > Joost
76 >
77 > I wish I could get me a laser printer. I'm dipping off into electronics
78 > again and will have to make PCBs and they say laser printers work
79 > better, although I have had a couple tell me ink jets work just as good
80 > now, maybe better. Still, toner doesn't seem to mess up like cartridges
81 > do. Just keep the stuff in a relatively dry spot and it's ready to go
82 > when ever you need to print.
83
84 I find laser printers to be more expensive initially, but considering the
85 amount of pages I can print per toner cartridge, compared to what I used to
86 get out of the same amount of ink (comparing monetary costs), I find laser
87 printers to be cheaper.
88 Inkjet only seems to work if I print a lot. For occasional printing, lasers
89 are more reliable.
90
91 But I only print on paper.
92
93 I though PCBs are hard? How do you get those through a printer?
94
95 > Glad to know that the way I set up my printer works for someone else
96 > too. Hmmmmm.
97
98 I had to rethink how I did it as it's been working without issue for a few
99 years now. And I do update regularly.
102 Joost