From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CIFS mounts started misbehaving
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2017 19:11:19
1 On March 3, 2017 7:49:27 PM GMT+01:00, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >For the past 10-15, I've been mounting a handfull of directories that
3 >reside on a Windows server, and it's always worked find.
4 >
5 >About a week ago, they started acting oddly. They all mount fine, and
6 >work as usual as long as you keep using them. AFAICT, if they sit
7 >idle for "a while" (tens of minutes, maybe an hour), they freeze up.
8 >
9 >After that, trying to access them hangs, and then eventually reports
10 >"host is down". Except the host _isn't_ down. If I do an
11 >unmount/mount it works instantly without complaint and the mounted
12 >directory is fine again -- for a while.
13 >
14 >I don't think I've changed anything relevent on my Gentoo box (the
15 >CIFS client), and it's probably something on the Windows end of
16 >things.
17 >
18 >But, I was hoping somebody might have seen something similar and knows
19 >what to do about it.
20 >
21 >Here's a typical line in /etc/fstab:
22 >
23 >\\winhost\projects /winhost/projects cifs
25 >0 0
26 >
27 ><usrname> is the username (same on Gentoo and Windows)
28 ><wgname> is the Windows workgroup name
29 ><passwd> is the Windows server password for <usrname>
30 >
31 >Any ideas?
32
33 My guess would be some timeout setting on the server killing the login.
34 Maybe there is a keep-alive option in the mount? Otherwise a cronjob that keeps 'touch'ing a file on one or all of the shares would avoid this happening.
35
36 If the windows admin doesn't like that option, have him undo whatever he changed.
39 Joost
40 --
41 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.