From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CIFS mounts started misbehaving
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2017 18:50:10
1 For the past 10-15, I've been mounting a handfull of directories that
2 reside on a Windows server, and it's always worked find.
3
4 About a week ago, they started acting oddly. They all mount fine, and
5 work as usual as long as you keep using them. AFAICT, if they sit
6 idle for "a while" (tens of minutes, maybe an hour), they freeze up.
7
8 After that, trying to access them hangs, and then eventually reports
9 "host is down". Except the host _isn't_ down. If I do an
10 unmount/mount it works instantly without complaint and the mounted
11 directory is fine again -- for a while.
12
13 I don't think I've changed anything relevent on my Gentoo box (the
14 CIFS client), and it's probably something on the Windows end of
15 things.
16
17 But, I was hoping somebody might have seen something similar and knows
18 what to do about it.
19
20 Here's a typical line in /etc/fstab:
21
23
24 <usrname> is the username (same on Gentoo and Windows)
25 <wgname> is the Windows workgroup name
26 <passwd> is the Windows server password for <usrname>
27
28 Any ideas?
31 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! What a COINCIDENCE!
32 at I'm an authorized "SNOOTS
33 gmail.com OF THE STARS" dealer!!