From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CIFS mounts started misbehaving
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 23:12:43
1 On 2017-03-03, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > For the past 10-15 [years], I've been mounting a handfull of
4 > directories that reside on a Windows server, and it's always worked
5 > find.
6 >
7 > About a week ago, they started acting oddly. They all mount fine, and
8 > work as usual as long as you keep using them. AFAICT, if they sit
9 > idle for "a while" (tens of minutes, maybe an hour), they freeze up.
10
11 It finally dawned on me that I had changed something.
12
13 It's a kernel 4.9 problem.
14
15 I had built and installed a gentoo-sources 4.9.6-r1 kernel about a
16 month ago, but didn't update the grub configuration and reboot until
17 two weeks ago.
18
19 Rebooting with the 4.4.39 kernel fixes the problem.
20
21 [I also tried just rebooting the 4.9.4 kernel, but that didn't help.]
22
23 The configuration of the 4.9.4 kernel is as close to that of the
24 4.4.39 as I can get.
25
26 I guess I'll have to stick with the 4.4 series until this gets fixed.
29 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Now we can become
30 at alcoholics!
31 gmail.com