From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CIFS mounts started misbehaving
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 07:48:06
1 On Dienstag, 7. März 2017 00:12:06 CET Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2017-03-03, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > For the past 10-15 [years], I've been mounting a handfull of
4 > > directories that reside on a Windows server, and it's always worked
5 > > find.
6 > >
7 > > About a week ago, they started acting oddly. They all mount fine, and
8 > > work as usual as long as you keep using them. AFAICT, if they sit
9 > > idle for "a while" (tens of minutes, maybe an hour), they freeze up.
10 >
11 > It finally dawned on me that I had changed something.
12 >
13 > It's a kernel 4.9 problem.
14 >
15 > I had built and installed a gentoo-sources 4.9.6-r1 kernel about a
16 > month ago, but didn't update the grub configuration and reboot until
17 > two weeks ago.
18 >
19 > Rebooting with the 4.4.39 kernel fixes the problem.
20 >
21 > [I also tried just rebooting the 4.9.4 kernel, but that didn't help.]
22 >
23 > The configuration of the 4.9.4 kernel is as close to that of the
24 > 4.4.39 as I can get.
25 >
26 > I guess I'll have to stick with the 4.4 series until this gets fixed.
27
28 I'm glad you found the source of the problem and a workaround. However, the
29 4.9 series is now at 4.9.13. Have you tried that, too?
30
31 HTH
32 --
33 Marc Joliet
34 --
35 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
36 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup