From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Version conflicts when mixing arch and ~arch
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:57:03
1 On Wednesday 11 October 2006 11:19, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 10 October 2006 22:37, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > [SNIP]
4 >
5 > > emerge -p world had to parse the entire portage tree anyway, it
6 > > could easily check for versioning conflicts while doing it and
7 > > display a message to the user, much like blockers do currently. I
8 > > get it that portage likely can't suggest resolutions but it would
9 > > be nice to see in one display that evas and pygtk requires mutually
10 > > exclusive versions of cairo.
11 > >
12 > > Can portage do this? Is it something useful that warrants a feature
13 > > request? Or am I missing an option in the man page even though I've
14 > > read it >30 times? :-)
15 >
16 > After bug #147766 [1] and bug #16365 [2] have been resolved portage
17 > should detect this. That means that the latest stable portage still
18 > won't detect it but latest ~arch portage should...
19 >
20 > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/147766
21 > [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/16365
22
23 That's good news. My notebook runs ~x86, meaning I can test the latest
24 portage there and keyword portage on the desktop if everything seems
25 fine.
26
27 Thanks for the info
28