From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:05:49
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
4 > That's not necessary. I regularly...
5 > - start off with a basic text-console-only install
6 > - and then I fire up "emerge gimp" before heading off to work
7 >
8 > By the time I get home from work, Portage has pulled in and built the
9 >approximately 40 packages necessary to get a basic X GUI running with
10 >TWM and has built Gimp. "rpm-hell"... what's that??? Portage rocks!!!
11 >
12 > The basic X support doesn't show up in /var/lib/portage/world. It's
13 >installed as dependancy for various applications. Another cute trick is
14 >to "emerge bbkeys" without first "emerge blackbox". blackbox doesn't
15 >show up in world either. It's a dependancy for bbkeys.
16 >
17 >[m3000][root][~] grep -c ^. /var/lib/portage/world
18 >54
19 >
20 >...yes folks, only 54 entries in world for a full-featured desktop with
21 >a whole bunch of apps. Like I said, all the dependancies end up as
22 >dependancies.
26 Always more than one way to skin a cat. O_O LOL How much thought did
27 you put into that?
28
29 Dale
30 :-)