From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:00:52
1 On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:14:32PM -0500, JimD wrote
2 > Is is safe to continue to build in a chroot? The handbook say to boot
3 > into my new gentoo system. However, I would like to continue to build
4 > in the chroot (from another Gentoo 2006.0) until I have X, Fluxbox,
5 > Firefox, Postfix, Apache, Mysql and Courier built. This way I will
6 > have the minimal I need in a system and can take my time to build Gnome
7 > and everyhing else.
8
9 That's not necessary. I regularly...
10 - start off with a basic text-console-only install
11 - and then I fire up "emerge gimp" before heading off to work
12
13 By the time I get home from work, Portage has pulled in and built the
14 approximately 40 packages necessary to get a basic X GUI running with
15 TWM and has built Gimp. "rpm-hell"... what's that??? Portage rocks!!!
16
17 The basic X support doesn't show up in /var/lib/portage/world. It's
18 installed as dependancy for various applications. Another cute trick is
19 to "emerge bbkeys" without first "emerge blackbox". blackbox doesn't
20 show up in world either. It's a dependancy for bbkeys.
21
22 [m3000][root][~] grep -c ^. /var/lib/portage/world
23 54
24
25 ...yes folks, only 54 entries in world for a full-featured desktop with
26 a whole bunch of apps. Like I said, all the dependancies end up as
27 dependancies.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
31 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
32 --