From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:13:50
1 On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:55:43 -0500
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > That's not necessary. I regularly...
5 > - start off with a basic text-console-only install
6 > - and then I fire up "emerge gimp" before heading off to work
7
8 I need those apps installed so I can get mail and serve my personal
9 web site.
10
11 > By the time I get home from work, Portage has pulled in and built
12 > the approximately 40 packages necessary to get a basic X GUI running
13 > with TWM and has built Gimp. "rpm-hell"... what's that??? Portage
14 > rocks!!!
15
16 I like that idea. Though it doesn't always work. For example, last
17 night I did an emerge -vb gnome and woke up to find that it died only
18 30 minutes into the build. I was expecting to have a full gnome
19 desktop today, but I am still building now.
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list