From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: dual scsi configuration?
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:31:47
1 Zac Slade <krakrjak <at> volumehost.net> writes:
4 > Well what's the workload? Random reads, sequential reads, random writes,
5 > sequential writes? All these are important to selecting the best method of
6 > getting optimal I/O. There is no one perfect filesystem/raid level for
7 > everything.
8
9 Hello Zac,
10
11 A lightly loaded web server should be able to use reiser3. I think the
12 intial setup will be reiser 3 as all of my experiences with Reiser3 have
13 been very positive.
14
15 No LMV or EVMS
16
17 > Since you are using only a 400Mhz processor I think that reiser3 may be out of
18 > the question. It uses a lot of CPU and gets great performace, but if the
19 > processor can't keep up then reiser loses a lot of performance.
20
21 Since the web server will be lightly loaded (maybe 100 hits per day with
22 simple html files, the 400 MHz cpu should be fine. It it starts to
23 get more action than the machine can handle, I'll migrate it up
24 to another machine with more resources....
25
26 > Also any Device Mapper layers will slow you down a bit. I user LVM and love
27 > it, but if I really need maximum raw throughput I'd look to hw RAID or sw
28 > based RAID (if my system is up to that).
29
30 The Adaptech dual channel controller has a drive on each channel.
31 It's an AHA-3940/UWUWD ATC-7882U . How do I find if this
32 controller does hardware raid and if so, how to set it up under Gentoo?
33 If not, software raid sounds interesting to learn about. If the
34 machine installation turns out poorly, I'll just try it again.
35 It's not controlling critical data, just a learning/fun type of
36 project (I.E. it's a stressless adventure, OK?)
39 > For filesystems it just depends on your needs. If you want high sequential
40 > reads/writes then JFS and XFS are particularly good. If you need an all
41 > around performer, random reads/writes with good sequential throughput then
42 > ext3 and reiser (see above note on reiser). Reiser is also the best at
43 > purely random access especially with large directories (1,000s of little
44 > files).
45
46 Mostly 'reads' I would suppect from several simple and small web-sties
47 on a machine this is only a web server?
48
49 > To be honest if you just go look at the filesystem howtos and filesystem
50 > comparisons (use google luke) you won't go wrong. They are all up to the
51 > task as long as you know a little bit about what your workload is going to
52 > look like.
53
54 Reiser3 is my choice. No LVM or EVMS for now. SO I need a howto
55 on setting up raid (hardware if this aforementioned scsi card can
56 to that with Gentoo) ortherwise software raid.
57
58 Maybe (2) equal size swap partiontions on each drive? Identical partitions
59 on these identical drives?
62 Nothing stressful here, just a chance to set up a slightly diferent
63 gentoo web server, for my home based projects.
64
65 As the Aussie's say (No worries!)
66
67 James