From: Zac Slade <krakrjak@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dual scsi configuration?
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:05:30
1 On Friday 08 September 2006 19:43, James wrote:
2 > If I want maximum/optimized IO performance
3 > from these drives what is the best file system
4 > to use and drive configuration. (1/2) the swap space
5 > on each drive? Raid level? Other methods? EVMS(which
6 > I know nothing about)?
7 Well what's the workload? Random reads, sequential reads, random writes,
8 sequential writes? All these are important to selecting the best method of
9 getting optimal I/O. There is no one perfect filesystem/raid level for
10 everything.
11
12 Since you are using only a 400Mhz processor I think that reiser3 may be out of
13 the question. It uses a lot of CPU and gets great performace, but if the
14 processor can't keep up then reiser loses a lot of performance.
15
16 Also any Device Mapper layers will slow you down a bit. I user LVM and love
17 it, but if I really need maximum raw throughput I'd look to hw RAID or sw
18 based RAID (if my system is up to that).
19
20 For filesystems it just depends on your needs. If you want high sequential
21 reads/writes then JFS and XFS are particularly good. If you need an all
22 around performer, random reads/writes with good sequential throughput then
23 ext3 and reiser (see above note on reiser). Reiser is also the best at
24 purely random access especially with large directories (1,000s of little
25 files).
26
27 To be honest if you just go look at the filesystem howtos and filesystem
28 comparisons (use google luke) you won't go wrong. They are all up to the
29 task as long as you know a little bit about what your workload is going to
30 look like.
31 --
32 Zac Slade
33 krakrjak@××××××××××.net