From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any way of tracing kernel freezes?
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 01:22:11
1 On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:56:51PM -0700, Thomas Mueller wrote:
2
3 > Excerpt from Frank Steinmetzger:
4 > > > Temperature? - check for dust puppies clogging the heatsinks, cooling etc.
5 >
6 > > It's a netbook with a 6.5 Watt CPU. I'm going through the big emerge
7 > > again right now (3.5 hours in), and it never goes above 66°. Besides, the
8 > > freezes also happened when I didn't do anything heavy. Just surfing
9 > > (though Firefox can also be heave for an Atom ^^).
13 > > Anyhoo, I'm running 3.8.13 again now. I didn't have my config anymore,
14 > > so I oldconfig'ed it from 3.9. Let's see whether it's more stable. If
15 > > yes, hm... I can't really report this to the kernel devs: "My netbook
16 > > freezes since 3.9, that's all I know. Here, have my configs." :-I
17 >
18 > Is your temperature of 66° F or C?
19
20 The proper degrees of course ;-) i.e. Celsius.
21
22 > System temperature or surrounding room temperature?
23
24 CPU Temp. It’s the only sensor I’ve got.
25
26 > I have an old computer whose fan has quit as happened once before.
27
28 The fan is fine.
29
30 > CPUs generate considerable heat […]
31 > When I do use that old computer, I open the case and prop a hair dryer
32 > to run at low, ambient-temperature air pointed at the CPU.
33
34 Please re-read the first paragraph you quoted from me in your reply.
37 On an on-topic sidenote: I had a freeze the other day with the 3.8
38 kernel. So it could likely be a hardware issue.
39
40 After I accidentially cut the WiFi cable where it goes through the
41 hinge, I installed another netbook's antenna and connected it to the
42 metal foil in the back of the lid. That can't possibly be the culprit,
43 can it? WiFi is working fine, as far as I can tell.
44 --
45 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
46 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
47
48 I hate being bi-polar. It’s fantastic!