From: "Petri Rosenström" <petri.rosenstrom@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual Boot Partitions
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 16:04:50
1 On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:01 PM, dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I have a new laptop that I need to set up for dual booting.  As much as
3 > I despise Microsoft, I have to use it for certain things.  Such as some
4 > obscure peripherals, like my slide photo scanner, it doesn't support
5 > Linux and TD Ameritrade's streaming Java tools don't work the same as on
6 > Linux.  Until corporation's smarten up Microsoft will be a problem.
7 >
8 > The setup for dual booting seem pretty straight forward.  Install
9 > windows first, then Linux, and modify the boot loader.  However, I have
10 > a couple of question and observations.
11 >
12 > First, the observations.  I tried to partition my disk with fdisk the
13 > way I wanted.  It had the usual Linux partitions and a partition that I
14 > was going to use for Window 7.  I wanted to make this an LVM2 partition,
15 > but that didn't work; I guess that was too ambitious.  Then I just made
16 > it an ordinary static HPFS/NTFS partition on /dev/sda5.  When installing
17 > Windows 7 it wouldn't install on that partition.  I deleted all the
18 > partitions and just installed it on the first 50Gigs of the disk.
19 >
20 > Second, the questions.  The Windows 7 install on the first 50Gigs of the
21 > disk needed to created two partitions.  The first was a very small boot
22 > partition that I increased to 128Megs, and the second is the rest of
23 > Windows 7.  Now when I boot to the livecd to partition the rest of the
24 > disk for Gentoo fdisk says "Partition 1 does not end on a cylinder
25 > boundary."  Is this a problem?  The other big question is:  what do I do
26 Dunno, it might be that win7 changed the amount of heads/sectors that
27 could give that notice from fdisk. I would not be to worrified about
28 it (Installing windows would be more horrifying). If you have a
29 traditional hd then the worst thing I think might be that reads/writes
30 would be slower.
31
32 > about the first partition in the partition table?  It is an HPFS/NTFS
33 > partition and has been toggled bootable.  It also has some stuff in it
34 > that looks like it's important to Windows:  a BOOTSECT.BAK file, a Boot
35 > directory, a System Volume Information directory, and a bootmgr file.
36 > Now for my Gentoo install, how and where do I make a /boot partition?
37 > Do I replace the Windows 7 boot partition with /boot?  If so, what
38 > happens to the contents?  or Do I make a /boot partition on /dev/sda3
39 > and toggle the bootable flag there?
40
41 Something like that. You could install gentoo on one partition (I
42 don't recommend).
43
44 Just make partitions like you would do without windows. When you do
45 the grub-install script or by hand grub links the boot to the
46 partition where boot exists. You should not remove or change the
47 windows partitions or the data windows will probably brake when you
48 do.
51 > I apologize for the long story.  Thanks in advance for all the help.
52 >
53 > dhk
57 Some links with more information...
58 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Dual_boot