From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Dual Boot Partitions
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:04:25
1 I have a new laptop that I need to set up for dual booting. As much as
2 I despise Microsoft, I have to use it for certain things. Such as some
3 obscure peripherals, like my slide photo scanner, it doesn't support
4 Linux and TD Ameritrade's streaming Java tools don't work the same as on
5 Linux. Until corporation's smarten up Microsoft will be a problem.
6
7 The setup for dual booting seem pretty straight forward. Install
8 windows first, then Linux, and modify the boot loader. However, I have
9 a couple of question and observations.
10
11 First, the observations. I tried to partition my disk with fdisk the
12 way I wanted. It had the usual Linux partitions and a partition that I
13 was going to use for Window 7. I wanted to make this an LVM2 partition,
14 but that didn't work; I guess that was too ambitious. Then I just made
15 it an ordinary static HPFS/NTFS partition on /dev/sda5. When installing
16 Windows 7 it wouldn't install on that partition. I deleted all the
17 partitions and just installed it on the first 50Gigs of the disk.
18
19 Second, the questions. The Windows 7 install on the first 50Gigs of the
20 disk needed to created two partitions. The first was a very small boot
21 partition that I increased to 128Megs, and the second is the rest of
22 Windows 7. Now when I boot to the livecd to partition the rest of the
23 disk for Gentoo fdisk says "Partition 1 does not end on a cylinder
24 boundary." Is this a problem? The other big question is: what do I do
25 about the first partition in the partition table? It is an HPFS/NTFS
26 partition and has been toggled bootable. It also has some stuff in it
27 that looks like it's important to Windows: a BOOTSECT.BAK file, a Boot
28 directory, a System Volume Information directory, and a bootmgr file.
29 Now for my Gentoo install, how and where do I make a /boot partition?
30 Do I replace the Windows 7 boot partition with /boot? If so, what
31 happens to the contents? or Do I make a /boot partition on /dev/sda3
32 and toggle the bootable flag there?
33
34 I apologize for the long story. Thanks in advance for all the help.
35
36 dhk