From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Again about a gentoo vm appliance for vbox
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 00:12:13
1 On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:07:48 -0500
2 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I've never yet managed to build a booting vm with gentoo. Probably my
5 > own fault, but I don't want to wrangle and study and diddle around
6 > endlessly. Which appears to be what it takes for me anyway.
7 >
8 > This is a i7 64 bit system using semi newish and common sata disks (WD
9 > 500GB [black]), and I don't need trick raid modules or the like, so
10 > should be easy enough to build a kernel for.
11 >
12 > ( Setup: QuadCore Intel i7 820QM, 2648 MHz (20 x 132) - 8GB ram)
13 >
14 > I've found that even a genkernel built kernel including the kitchen
15 > sink will fail to boot.
16 >
17 > Debian and Opensolaris installed in vbox vms with ease
18 >
19 > I don't want to keep wasting time building the basic OS, only to have
20 > it not boot.
21 >
22 > I'm not speaking from real recent experience so it probably wouldn't
23 > be much help to ask what error I'm having or such like. I just know
24 > from oft repeated attempts from time to time, that it will be a pita
25 > so would sooner just try a known working appliance ready made.
26 >
27 > In case you are thinking, I'm lazy... well yeah, somewhat... but I
28 > have put in extensive effort over time... Just want the easy route
29 > this time. (I'm also older than dirt .. hehe)
30
31 You described your frustration but never mentioned what it is you want.
32 Is it a download source for a working appliance? Google will find one
33 of those for you.
34
35 Booting a Gentoo VM is easy, just like any other distro (well, apart
36 from the fact that binary distros ship scripts that disciver your
37 hardware and load the correct modules at boot time).
38
39 More than likely you are running into the usual issues:
40
41 - chipset modules not compiled into kernel
42 - Filesystem type on / not compiled into kernel
43 - You selected the wrong modules for disks and NIC. Remember that a VM
44 guest does not necessarily present the same hardware to it's kernel
45 as the host! In the VirtualBox config dialog, look at the hardware
46 settings for your guest - it usually emulates common hardware types,
47 which is highly likely to not be the same as your real hardware
48 (there's a software in between that abstracts these things)
49
50 Hope this help
56 Alan McKinnnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com