From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Again about a gentoo vm appliance for vbox
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 01:49:59
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > You described your frustration but never mentioned what it is you want.
4 > Is it a download source for a working appliance? Google will find one
5 > of those for you.
6
7 Since both of you agree that I never said what I wanted, I guess I'm
8 guilty. Somehow I thought with a subject line like:
9
10 Again about a gentoo vm appliance for vbox
11
12 It would be clear that I am seeking a recent gentoo vm appliance for
13 vbox.
14
15 Sorry about so much sniveling as well.
16
17 Last time I asked here about it someone had such things available but
18 I never got one to work.
19
20 I guess you all know that a vm appliance is a pretty narrow thing.
21 They are seen as portable vm appliances to a more or less major
22 degree. A ready made gentoo vm OS that you set in a directory and
23 click. Vmbox comes up and you start the thing. No puttering around
24 guessing about kernel options, installing the necessities etc etc.
25
26 So is that clear then? I wanted URLS to such critters.
27
28 And as far as google finding them. I do not have the luck you
29 apparently have had. My best hit is gentoo profile 2006 running
30 kernel 2.6-15-r1.
31
32 Needless to say that will be a fairly hefty upgrade and a good chance
33 of having serious upgrade problems for that big a jump.
34
35 http://gentoovm.blogspot.com/2006/03/gentoo-virtual-machine-i.html
36
37 OH, buy the way.. what is the most recent profile available?