From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Again about a gentoo vm appliance for vbox
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 04:00:28
1 On Feb 16, 2012 8:51 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
4 >
5 > > You described your frustration but never mentioned what it is you want.
6 > > Is it a download source for a working appliance? Google will find one
7 > > of those for you.
8 >
9 > Since both of you agree that I never said what I wanted, I guess I'm
10 > guilty. Somehow I thought with a subject line like:
11 >
12 > Again about a gentoo vm appliance for vbox
13 >
14 > It would be clear that I am seeking a recent gentoo vm appliance for
15 > vbox.
16 >
17 > Sorry about so much sniveling as well.
18 >
19 > Last time I asked here about it someone had such things available but
20 > I never got one to work.
21 >
22 > I guess you all know that a vm appliance is a pretty narrow thing.
23 > They are seen as portable vm appliances to a more or less major
24 > degree. A ready made gentoo vm OS that you set in a directory and
25 > click. Vmbox comes up and you start the thing. No puttering around
26 > guessing about kernel options, installing the necessities etc etc.
27 >
28 > So is that clear then? I wanted URLS to such critters.
29 >
30 > And as far as google finding them. I do not have the luck you
31 > apparently have had. My best hit is gentoo profile 2006 running
32 > kernel 2.6-15-r1.
33 >
34 > Needless to say that will be a fairly hefty upgrade and a good chance
35 > of having serious upgrade problems for that big a jump.
36 >
37 > http://gentoovm.blogspot.com/2006/03/gentoo-virtual-machine-i.html
38 >
39 > OH, buy the way.. what is the most recent profile available?
43 Truth be told, I *never* use any template when creating Gentoo VMs on
44 VMware. I have my own "stage3.9 generator" that produces a "stage3.9"
45 tarball which I simply extract to a new VM.
46
47 ("stage3.9" contains everything needed to boot the VM, but sans the
48 functional programs)
49
50 Rgds,