From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mask all packages but 1 from an overlay?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 01:27:24
1 On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> Can I mask all packages from a layman overlay except for one?
3 >>
4 >> Check out Mark Knecht's thread from 5 hours ago asking the same question. :)
5 >
6 > Ouch, sorry.  I bet he was doing the exact same thing I'm doing.  Darn
7 > poppler, eh Mark!  The version number is the same so you can't mask it
8 > out even temporarily.
9 >
10 >> Short answer was don't let portage see the overlay, instead symlink
11 >> the packages you want to your local overlay instead, so only they will
12 >> be seen by portage, while still allowing you to sync the overlay as
13 >> usual.
14 >
15 > Based on that info, I just copied it into /usr/local/portage.  It's
16 > hal so I don't think there is to much likelihood of an update.
17 >
18 > - Grant
21 Hi Grant,
22 That's funny! Both of us asking the same thing on the same day.
23
24 In my case it wasn't poplar. I use the init6 overlay to get handbrake
25 but I started noticing that there are a number of other things my
26 system was pulling in from init6, like nvidia-settings, which I didn't
27 want it to pull in. I want to get everything I need and can get from
28 the standard repository from the standard repository. I only want to
29 go to the overlay when I absolutely need to and it's not clear to me
30 when there's a duplication between the standard repository and
31 whatever an overlay points at which one emerge choses.
32
33 Good luck with your overlay stuff. I'm going to try Neil's idea later
34 this week and see how it goes.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Mark