From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] esound
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:29:24
1 >> I'm trying to remove all digital alteration of the sound on my
2 >> music server before it hits the USB DAC. I have no jack, no
3 >> pulseaudio, and I think I should remove esound. There doesn't
4 >> seem to be an /etc/init.d script for it though.
5 >
6 > At my site it's called /etc/init.d/esound.
7 > Perhaps you'd someday removed it accidently ?
8 >
9 >> I've removed it from my USE flags, and un-emerged it, but now
10 >> I'm curious.
11 >
12 > That useflag (IMHO) only affects other applications which might
13 > be able to feed their audio to esd. So if you disable this useflag
14 > (and dont forget to rebuild ;-p), the app won't try to connect
15 > to esd anymore. So, if nobody uses esd, you can remove it.
16
17 I see it now. Thanks a lot.
18
19 - Grant
20
21 > BTW: (OT) I'm currently writing an tiny and network agnostic
22 > (9P based) audio server which should be capable of being the
23 > only application interface (making app-internal driver layers
24 > obsolete) and optionally can support other protocols (eg. esound).
25 > If anyone's interested in it, just let me know :)
26 --
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list