From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] esound
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:13:16
1 * Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I'm trying to remove all digital alteration of the sound on my
4 > music server before it hits the USB DAC. I have no jack, no
5 > pulseaudio, and I think I should remove esound. There doesn't
6 > seem to be an /etc/init.d script for it though.
7
8 At my site it's called /etc/init.d/esound.
9 Perhaps you'd someday removed it accidently ?
10
11 > I've removed it from my USE flags, and un-emerged it, but now
12 > I'm curious.
13
14 That useflag (IMHO) only affects other applications which might
15 be able to feed their audio to esd. So if you disable this useflag
16 (and dont forget to rebuild ;-p), the app won't try to connect
17 to esd anymore. So, if nobody uses esd, you can remove it.
18
19 BTW: (OT) I'm currently writing an tiny and network agnostic
20 (9P based) audio server which should be capable of being the
21 only application interface (making app-internal driver layers
22 obsolete) and optionally can support other protocols (eg. esound).
23 If anyone's interested in it, just let me know :)
26 cu
27 --
29 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
31 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
32 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
33 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
34 http://patches.metux.de/
36 --
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list