From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: back up gentoo system
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:59:12
1 On 12 May 2008, at 14:07, Michael Schmarck wrote:
2 > ... Reasons:
3 >
4 > - "DOS Filesystems" (fat, ntfs) don't allow to store all the metadata
5 > you find on Linux.
6 > - "Linux filesystems" (ext*, reiser, ...) don't allow to store all
7 > the metadata you find on Windows.
8 > - Sharing backup space means, that it get's used more often. This
9 > makes the risk larger, that something bad happens.
10
11 Apparently you missed my email 2 days ago. I'll cc you, so you don't
12 miss this one.
13
14 I said:
15
16 You keep saying this like it's obvious, but don't provide any good
17 reason for it.
18
19 There's no reason why I shouldn't have a singe external drive
20 containing three directories: "My Mac", "Ann's Linux Box", "Bee's
21 Windows PC".
22
23 I can only assume that you find it inelegant to store files on a
24 filesystem which will not handle their metadata - ownership, group,
25 permissions in the case of Linux, or the more sophisticated ACLs
26 used by Windows XP Pro & 2003.
27
28 Just because YOU find it inelegant, doesn't mean that anyone else
29 cares. A file is a file, and when recovering from backups most of
30 us can drag & drop "My Photos" to the new filesystem and then take
31 ownership of the files.
32
33 I have tried not to get involved in this thread, but with today's
34 posts you're really starting to make yourself look, um, eccentric. If
35 I were you I'd shut up right now, before you do your reputation any
36 more lasting damage.
37
38 There are LOTS of ways to do things, and your way is not inherently
39 right. I'm not saying your way is wrong, but you seem to be quite
40 unjustifiably slinging that allegation at other people.
41
42 Stroller.
43 --
44 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list