From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:34:41
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:32:00 +0100, Daniel Troeder wrote:
5 >> While this will work perfectly well, this command is a waste of
6 >> resources. The compression ("-z") makes locally no sense, and there is
7 >> no need to tar the data (which will basically just concat files). You
8 >> will get the exact same result with
9 >> # cp -a /source /dest
12 > There is one slight disadvantage to cp in that it changed the modified
13 > time of directories to the current time, which rsync does not. I'd use
14 >
15 > rsync -ax /source/ /dest/
20 I made a note of that command and will give that a try. I'll also read
21 the man page to see how to get it to skip /dev /sys /proc etc etc.
22
23 Thanks
24
25 Dale