From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop Install Issue
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:43:06
1 At Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:42:13 +0000 "C. Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I'm at the point where I can boot the system and I've been trying to
6 > install xorg-x11. However, the laptop keeps powering off on me.
7 >
8 > This wasn't a problem until I build the kernel where I built acpi
9 > support into it. However, I *didn't* read the ACPI Guide and obviously,
10 > should have. That's no big problem, I'll just recompile the kernel and
11 > follow what the Guide says.
12
13 Had you built xorg-x11 when the kernel didn't have acpi support?
14 I ask because a long build could be raising the temperature of your
15 laptop and it is shutting off to save itself from frying.
16
17 I have had dell service replace motherboards on two laptops because of
18 this problem. But it could be much simpler
19
20 1. Make sure you don't have any vents blocked. For example, don't
21 place your laptop on a soft surface if it has bottom vents.
22
23 2. Blow or vacuum the vents to hopefully remove any blockage.
24
25 > My issue is this: The computer powered off in the middle of the install
26 > of xorg-x11. This has happened a couple of times. I haven't been
27 > having problems with the laptop, so I'm pretty sure the issue has
28 > something to do with power management since I built power management
29 > into the kernel, but didn't emerge acpid. Anyway, since the emerge of
30 > xorg-x11 has bombed a couple of times, is there anything that I should
31 > do in the way of clean up before trying to emerge it again?
32
33 It is of course not good to have a machine shut off in the middle of
34 execution. I don't know if the heat sensing shutoff has fail-stop or
35 byzantine semantics. Presumably your file systems are journaling so
36 you have a good chance of surviving without any damage (I would do an
37 e2fsck -f --or equivalent for your filesystem type--
38 on each filesystem, but I am somewhat paranoid).
39
40 Having an emerge stop (say by Control-C) in the middle of a *compile*
41 phase should not be a serious problem. You might check
42 /var/tmp/portage to see if the tmp directory for xorg-x11 is still
43 there.
44
45 hth,
46 allan