From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Smplayer adjusting PCM level in Kmix.
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 21:08:01
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 27 June 2021 19:33:46 BST Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I thought mplayer was supposed to be the big dog in video players. I
5 >> recall slightly there being a debate about it but I thought mplayer won
6 >> the day. Am I wrong or has things changed since then??
7 > Random linky says mpv is better:
8 >
9 > https://www.slant.co/versus/13972/13973/~mplayer_vs_mpv
10 >
11 > From what I recall mplayer doesn’t support VAAPI for hardware acceleration,
12 > but I moved from mplayer to mpv quite a few years now and have not kept up
13 > with mplayer's development. As a matter of fact I had to check mplayer was
14 > still in portage! :-)
15 >
16 > Anyway, better informed chattering users express their views here:
17 >
18 > https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/43ky44/
19 > mplayer_mplayer2_mpv_which_one_is_your_choice_and/
20
21 When gnome-player finally stops working, I'll switch.  I'm afraid to
22 switch right now because it may break gnome-player.  It may not even
23 compile anymore basically.  I'm testing other players but all of them
24 have their cons, which annoys me.  I'm a creature of habit.
25
26 Thanks for the info.  At least now I know.
27
28 Dale
29