From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Smplayer adjusting PCM level in Kmix.
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 19:52:31
1 On Sunday, 27 June 2021 19:33:46 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2021-06-27, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> one thing that Smplayer does that annoys me is each time it starts a
5 > >> new video, from either a fresh start or next video in the playlist,
6 > >> it adjusts the PCM sound level in Kmix.
7 > >
8 > > I still use mplayer a lot, and it doesn't do that. Whenver I start
9 > > mplayer the volume is always whereever I left it last.
10 > >
11 > > --
12 > > Grant
13 >
14 > I think it is a Smplayer bug. The idea Michael had worked. I don't
15 > understand why but it worked.
16
17 From what you described, 'something' was reverting audio to a preset volume
18 level. If it wasn't kmix's desktop setting, I assumed it would be application
19 specific.
22 > I thought mplayer was supposed to be the big dog in video players. I
23 > recall slightly there being a debate about it but I thought mplayer won
24 > the day. Am I wrong or has things changed since then??
25
26 Random linky says mpv is better:
27
28 https://www.slant.co/versus/13972/13973/~mplayer_vs_mpv
29
30 From what I recall mplayer doesn’t support VAAPI for hardware acceleration,
31 but I moved from mplayer to mpv quite a few years now and have not kept up
32 with mplayer's development. As a matter of fact I had to check mplayer was
33 still in portage! :-)
34
35 Anyway, better informed chattering users express their views here:
36
37 https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/43ky44/
38 mplayer_mplayer2_mpv_which_one_is_your_choice_and/