From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to see make output when emerging a package?
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:45:08
1 On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 20:35:49 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:
2
3 > > I've tried setting --quiet-build=n and --quiet=n but to no avail
4 > > because I have --jobs set to higher than 1. I've checked
5 > > /var/log/emerge.log but that's only the emerge output not the make
6 > > output that I'm looking for. What am I missing here?
9 > You're missing that the make log is in a separate place for each
10 > package. Usually in /var/tmp/portage somewhere. As you noticed, setting
11 > --jobs higher than 1 automatically sets --quiet-build, and makes it
12 > unable to activate.
13 >
14 > It will tell you after portage is finished about any failed packages,
15 > and where that log is, but if you want to see all that output while it's
16 > compiling you'd need to script a way to automatically check for new
17 > build.log files in /var/tmp/portage as new package compile jobs starts
18 > and monitor them.
19 >
20 > Basically, my advice is to use --jobs=1 if you want to see the output.
21
22 Or set
23
24 PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="log warn error"
25 PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"
26
27 in make.conf to have the build logs saved to /var/log/portage/elog.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 Windows Error #09: Mouse not found. Press mouse button to continue.