From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] disable numlock on netbook
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 09:21:55
1 On 08/01/2014 22:05, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 01/05/2014 01:41 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> I have Gentoo on a first gen Acer Aspire One. The teeny keyboard doesn't
4 >> have a numpad, it's simulated by using the right-hand bunch of keys and
5 >> you engage it with Fn-F11
6 >>
7 >> It's recently started booting up with the numpad on which is annoying at
8 >> first login as my username is not a3an0 .... The Num LED is also off at
9 >> this stage. There used to be a way to set numlock on or off in
10 >> baselayout/openrc but now I can't find it. "grep -r numlock /etc"
11 >> returns nothing relevant, and /etc/init.d/numlock is to enable it with
12 >> no function to disable it (I have this script disable in default runlevel)
13 >>
14 >> How is this done these days?
15 >> Should I call setleds in rc.local somewhere?
19 > Are you booting into X? If you are try x11-misc/numlockx.
20 >
21 > I think all you have to do is use `numlockx off` and it should turn it off.
22 >
23 > I had to do that for my laptop, same problem.
27 It all seems to have sorted itself out somehow. I removed everything
28 related to numlock and power cycled. The netbook now boots with numlock off.
29
30 I'm not at all sure how this works on this keyboard. Perhaps the
31 hardware remembers the numlock state before power-down and resets it at
32 power-up?
33
34 I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie and leave this issue alone for now.
35 If I'm lucky it won't recur :-)
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com