From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Macbook Air
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 17:15:06
1 On Saturday 24 Sep 2011 17:30:54 Grant wrote:
2 > >> > I don't have a Macbook Air, but I have two iMac desktops and one
3 > >> > macbook pro laptop. The two imacs run Gentoo without any problems. I
4 > >> > installed refit to switch between Gentoo and osx.
5 > >> >
6 > >> > For the laptop, I had trouble booting from the installation cd. A few
7 > >> > days ago someone on this list suggested that I run Gentoo within a
8 > >> > virtual machine running on osx. This turned out to be a very good
9 > >> > solution, since it is very easy and works perfectly (I do have a small
10 > >> > network problem, but not serious), and allows me to use the Mac
11 > >> > software as well. I use virtualbox for the VM software.
12 > >> >
13 > >> > Best,
14 > >> > Moshe
15 > >>
16 > >> Thanks Moshe. Maybe the best thing for me to do is just install
17 > >> Gentoo on the thing and see what happens. Restoring OSX should be
18 > >> easy with the included USB key. I think that's the best way to figure
19 > >> out if there are any quirks. Just follow the regular install method,
20 > >> right?
21 > >
22 > > Yes, except you should install refit (http://refit.sf.net) first. refit
23 > > is a boot loader for mac. Maybe there is a way to avoid it, but
24 > > installing refit is very easy, and I had no problems with it. Also, I
25 > > was planning in advance to make the computers dual boot, so I
26 > > partitioned accordingly. If you have just one partition, I think it is
27 > > best to re-partition using osx.
28 > >
29 > > Best,
30 > > Moshe
31 >
32 > Thanks for your help with this guys. I've finally convinced her to
33 > return the Macbook Air. My life just got easier.
34
35 You can always install Hackintosh or similar in a VM if she's pining for an
36 applemac.
39 Regards,
40 Mick