From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Macbook Air
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 16:32:15
1 >> > I don't have a Macbook Air, but I have two iMac desktops and one macbook
2 >> > pro laptop. The two imacs run Gentoo without any problems. I installed
3 >> > refit to switch between Gentoo and osx.
4 >> >
5 >> > For the laptop, I had trouble booting from the installation cd. A few
6 >> > days ago someone on this list suggested that I run Gentoo within a
7 >> > virtual machine running on osx. This turned out to be a very good
8 >> > solution, since it is very easy and works perfectly (I do have a small
9 >> > network problem, but not serious), and allows me to use the Mac software
10 >> > as well. I use virtualbox for the VM software.
11 >> >
12 >> > Best,
13 >> > Moshe
14 >>
15 >> Thanks Moshe.  Maybe the best thing for me to do is just install
16 >> Gentoo on the thing and see what happens.  Restoring OSX should be
17 >> easy with the included USB key.  I think that's the best way to figure
18 >> out if there are any quirks.  Just follow the regular install method,
19 >> right?
22 > Yes, except you should install refit (http://refit.sf.net) first. refit
23 > is a boot loader for mac. Maybe there is a way to avoid it, but
24 > installing refit is very easy, and I had no problems with it. Also, I
25 > was planning in advance to make the computers dual boot, so I
26 > partitioned accordingly. If you have just one partition, I think it is
27 > best to re-partition using osx.
28 >
29 > Best,
30 > Moshe
31
32 Thanks for your help with this guys. I've finally convinced her to
33 return the Macbook Air. My life just got easier.
34
35 - Grant