From: Moshe Kamensky <moshe.kamensky@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Macbook Air
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 23:55:18
1 * Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> [16/09/11 13:21]:
2 > > Hi,
3 > >
4 > > I don't have a Macbook Air, but I have two iMac desktops and one macbook
5 > > pro laptop. The two imacs run Gentoo without any problems. I installed
6 > > refit to switch between Gentoo and osx.
7 > >
8 > > For the laptop, I had trouble booting from the installation cd. A few
9 > > days ago someone on this list suggested that I run Gentoo within a
10 > > virtual machine running on osx. This turned out to be a very good
11 > > solution, since it is very easy and works perfectly (I do have a small
12 > > network problem, but not serious), and allows me to use the Mac software
13 > > as well. I use virtualbox for the VM software.
14 > >
15 > > Best,
16 > > Moshe
17 >
18 > Thanks Moshe. Maybe the best thing for me to do is just install
19 > Gentoo on the thing and see what happens. Restoring OSX should be
20 > easy with the included USB key. I think that's the best way to figure
21 > out if there are any quirks. Just follow the regular install method,
22 > right?
25 Yes, except you should install refit (http://refit.sf.net) first. refit
26 is a boot loader for mac. Maybe there is a way to avoid it, but
27 installing refit is very easy, and I had no problems with it. Also, I
28 was planning in advance to make the computers dual boot, so I
29 partitioned accordingly. If you have just one partition, I think it is
30 best to re-partition using osx.
31
32 Best,
33 Moshe