From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Macbook Air
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:17:43
1 > Hi,
2 >
3 > I don't have a Macbook Air, but I have two iMac desktops and one macbook
4 > pro laptop. The two imacs run Gentoo without any problems. I installed
5 > refit to switch between Gentoo and osx.
6 >
7 > For the laptop, I had trouble booting from the installation cd. A few
8 > days ago someone on this list suggested that I run Gentoo within a
9 > virtual machine running on osx. This turned out to be a very good
10 > solution, since it is very easy and works perfectly (I do have a small
11 > network problem, but not serious), and allows me to use the Mac software
12 > as well. I use virtualbox for the VM software.
13 >
14 > Best,
15 > Moshe
16
17 Thanks Moshe. Maybe the best thing for me to do is just install
18 Gentoo on the thing and see what happens. Restoring OSX should be
19 easy with the included USB key. I think that's the best way to figure
20 out if there are any quirks. Just follow the regular install method,
21 right?
22
23 - Grant
26 >> My wife can't stand the OS on her Macbook Air any more and has asked
27 >> me to install Gentoo.  I did some research and it looks like there are
28 >> some hidden pitfalls.  It seems to depend on which version of the
29 >> Macbook Air you have (my wife's is the version right before the new
30 >> backlit keyboard version) but at least some versions require that you
31 >> first boot into Mac OSX and then reboot into Linux, and there appear
32 >> to be a myriad of other gotchas.  Does anyone know more about this?
33 >>
34 >> - Grant