From: Moshe Kamensky <moshe.kamensky@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Macbook Air
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 23:50:12
1 Hi,
2
3 I don't have a Macbook Air, but I have two iMac desktops and one macbook
4 pro laptop. The two imacs run Gentoo without any problems. I installed
5 refit to switch between Gentoo and osx.
6
7 For the laptop, I had trouble booting from the installation cd. A few
8 days ago someone on this list suggested that I run Gentoo within a
9 virtual machine running on osx. This turned out to be a very good
10 solution, since it is very easy and works perfectly (I do have a small
11 network problem, but not serious), and allows me to use the Mac software
12 as well. I use virtualbox for the VM software.
13
14 Best,
15 Moshe
16
17 * Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> [14/09/11 16:33]:
18 > My wife can't stand the OS on her Macbook Air any more and has asked
19 > me to install Gentoo. I did some research and it looks like there are
20 > some hidden pitfalls. It seems to depend on which version of the
21 > Macbook Air you have (my wife's is the version right before the new
22 > backlit keyboard version) but at least some versions require that you
23 > first boot into Mac OSX and then reboot into Linux, and there appear
24 > to be a myriad of other gotchas. Does anyone know more about this?
25 >
26 > - Grant