From: Joel Osburn <tjeckleberg@××××.com>
To: "'gentoo-user@l.g.o'" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Changing system from single to dual CPU ?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:21:28
1 I have an Opteron 242 system, to which I recently added a second processor and some more memory. I figured that to take advantage of that processor, all I needed to do was recompile to kernel, reboot, and set "-j3" in the make.conf file.
2
3 However, there must be something else, since when I try to compile the kernel with smp, I get a whole bunch of errors like this when I run "make":
4
5 dandelion linux # make
6 CHK include/linux/version.h
7 CHK include/linux/compile.h
8 CHK usr/initramfs_list
9 CC arch/i386/kernel/process.o
10 In file included from include/asm/mpspec.h:5,
11 from include/asm/smp.h:18,
12 from include/linux/smp.h:19,
13 from include/linux/sched.h:26,
14 from arch/i386/kernel/process.c:18:
15 include/asm/mpspec_def.h:78: warning: 'packed' attribute ignored for field of type 'unsigned char[5u]'
16 CC arch/i386/kernel/semaphore.o
17 CC arch/i386/kernel/signal.o
18 In file included from include/asm/mpspec.h:5,
19 from include/asm/smp.h:18,
20 from include/linux/smp.h:19,
21 from include/linux/sched.h:26,
22 from arch/i386/kernel/signal.c:10:
23 include/asm/mpspec_def.h:78: warning: 'packed' attribute ignored for field of type 'unsigned char[5u]'
24 AS arch/i386/kernel/entry.o
25 CC arch/i386/kernel/traps.o
26 In file included from include/asm/mpspec.h:5,
27 from include/asm/smp.h:18,
28 from include/linux/smp.h:19,
29 from include/linux/sched.h:26,
30 from arch/i386/kernel/traps.c:15:
31 include/asm/mpspec_def.h:78: warning: 'packed' attribute ignored for field of type 'unsigned char[5u]'
32
33 <snip for brevity, the last one is:>
34
35 In file included from include/asm/mpspec.h:5,
36 from include/asm/smp.h:18,
37 from include/linux/smp.h:19,
38 from include/linux/sched.h:26,
39 from include/linux/module.h:10,
40 from fs/smbfs/smbfs.mod.c:1:
41 include/asm/mpspec_def.h:78: warning: 'packed' attribute ignored for field of type 'unsigned char[5u]'
42 LD [M] fs/smbfs/smbfs.ko
43
44 ------------------
45
46 So no normal end to the compile. This is with gentoo-sources 2.6.14-r5. I can't upgrade that right now for other reasons. The system is compiled as an x86 system, not amd64, and the only change in kernel config is related to smp:
47
48 dandelion linux # grep -i smp .config
49 # CONFIG_X86_BIGSMP is not set
50 CONFIG_SMP=y
51 CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
52 CONFIG_X86_SMP=y