From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Record sizes of directories of a directory tree (huge) most efficiently
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 22:18:57
1 On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 07:03:07PM -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> I want to determine the size of the contents of all directories of a
4 > >> tree of directories on a hexacore AMD64 machine with 4GB RAM an one
5 > >> harddisk (containing that tree) -- most efficiently (least time
6 > >> consuming).
7 > > A bit late to the game, but here is my way for this.
8 > > For a one-off thing, I use the already-mentioned excellent ncdu, which
9 > > provides vi-style navigation and even offers interactive deletion.
10 > >
11 > > du is a viable option for quick use on smaller lists. But when it comes down
12 > > to actual comparable lists to be stored and archived, I like to use tree. In
13 > > particular, I use it to store lists of content of my external harddisks, so
14 > > I can find out what I stored where without having to turn the disks on,
15 > > including used disk space.
16 > > [...]
17
18 > Have you seen this tool?
19 >
20 > sys-fs/treesize
21 >
22 > It seems to be a tool more along the lines of what you are doing. I
23
24 Well I have filelight and kdirstat for that, but those are all graphical.
25 What I use tree for is to archive the stats of a directory (and all of its
26 files) into a file for when I want to look at it withouth actually having to
27 plug in the drive. And if I can do that within my beloved Vim, all the
28 better. :)
31 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
32 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
33
34 Next time travel seminar: two weeks ago.