From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Record sizes of directories of a directory tree (huge) most efficiently
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 01:03:18
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 05:25:37PM +0100, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I want to determine the size of the contents of all directories of a
6 >> tree of directories on a hexacore AMD64 machine with 4GB RAM an one
7 >> harddisk (containing that tree) -- most efficiently (least time
8 >> consuming).
9 > A bit late to the game, but here is my way for this.
10 > For a one-off thing, I use the already-mentioned excellent ncdu, which
11 > provides vi-style navigation and even offers interactive deletion.
12 >
13 > du is a viable option for quick use on smaller lists. But when it comes down
14 > to actual comparable lists to be stored and archived, I like to use tree. In
15 > particular, I use it to store lists of content of my external harddisks, so
16 > I can find out what I stored where without having to turn the disks on,
17 > including used disk space.
18 >
19 > For that purpose, I use two different outputs. One paints the tree as such
20 > using ascii art, showing the size next to the indented name:
21 > tree -ax -n --du -h --dirsfirst
22 >
23 > The other one is a tabular format that is easier to look at in long lists,
24 > because it aligns size and date and prints the whole path, which also makes
25 > it easier to diff:
26 > tree -afx -DFins --dirsfirst --du --timefmt "%F %T"
27 >
28 > Tata
31 Have you seen this tool?
32
33 sys-fs/treesize
34
35 It seems to be a tool more along the lines of what you are doing. I
36 just noticed it in portage myself and thought it may be something that
37 would interest you. I might add, there are other tree variations on
38 this too. You may find eix tree interesting to look at.
39
40 Dale
41