From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] framebuffer questions
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 03:25:56
1 > also, gentoo has a doc:
2 >
3 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10
4
5 That gives the best explanation. Now dmesg | grep -i
6 vesa concludes with:
7 <...>
8 vesafb: framebuffer at 0xf0000000, mapped to
9 0xd1900000, using 10240k,total 16384k
10 fb1: VESA VGA frame buffer device.
11
12 But, the screen looks the same. I started out with
13 1024x768 then changed to 1280x1024 but certain web
14 pages still do not fit the screen. For example, a
15 trip to the above handbook address using elinks is an
16 exercise in frustration. As you scroll down using the
17 down arrow the page jumps from side to side making it
18 very difficult to follow.
19
20 FWIW if I drop to the grub prompt and use
21 grub>vbeprobe I get 'vbeprobe 0xffffff00 is not found
22 or supported'
23
24 If I use grub> testvbe 1280 I get
25 'mode 0x400 not supported'. For 1024, it's
26 '0x400 not supported'. For 800, it's '0x300 not
27 supported'. For 640, '0x200 not supported'.
28
29 Which is weird cause the monitor is clearly using
30 *some kind of mode*.
31
32 If I manually enter the kernel line at the prompt w/o
33 mentioning the framebuffer at all one is installed
34 anyway which is just like all the others :(
35
36 mw
41 Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.
42 http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list