From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] framebuffer questions
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:17:13
1 On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 20:19:12 -0700 (PDT)
2 maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > also, gentoo has a doc:
5 > >
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10
7 >
8 > That gives the best explanation. Now dmesg | grep -i
9 > vesa concludes with:
10 > <...>
11 > vesafb: framebuffer at 0xf0000000, mapped to
12 > 0xd1900000, using 10240k,total 16384k
13 > fb1: VESA VGA frame buffer device.
14 Thke vesafb driver is built into the kernel, right? You need it right
15 away when booting. No sense in fiddling around with initrd's, just put
16 it in the kernel.
17 > But, the screen looks the same. I started out with
18 > 1024x768 then changed to 1280x1024 but certain web
19 > pages still do not fit the screen. For example, a
20 > trip to the above handbook address using elinks is an
21 > exercise in frustration. As you scroll down using the
22 > down arrow the page jumps from side to side making it
23 > very difficult to follow.
24 That does sound frustrating. Let me provide some qotes:
25 |
26 |video=vesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768-32@85
27 |
28 I still think your boot line isn't quite right. May I see the updated
29 version from /proc/cmdline ?
30
31 > If I manually enter the kernel line at the prompt w/o
32 > mentioning the framebuffer at all one is installed
33 > anyway which is just like all the others :(
34
35 Yes, that's why I think the boot command line isn't quite right. The
36 kernel loads the driver eventually, if it's not specified the settings
37 at boot, just like all other drivers get loaded, and if they find
38 hardware to support, generally say something on the console. By the
39 time vesafb loads on your system, it's already initialized the console
40 and it's too late to give it the resolution you want.
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list