From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Guidance requested for setting up ndiswrapper wireless under Gentoo
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:50:33
1 On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 08:18:39PM -0700, Penguin Lover Mark Knecht squawked:
2 > 4) I emerged wpa_supplicant based on info here that says
3 > wpa_supplicant can be used with ndiswrapper:
4 >
5 > http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/WPA
6 >
7 > 5) When I emerged wpa_supplicant it said I needed to create a config
8 > file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and gave a path to an
9 > example, so I've extracted the example file and copied it to the
10 > prescribed location. However the Gentoo pages say the right location
11 > is /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. Which location is correct?
12
13 I have mine in /etc/wpa_cupplicant.conf, and it works for me there.
14
15 > 6) it's so deep in examples I'm currently not clear how to modify it
16 > or even why I'm using it. What is a wpa_supplicant and why does one
17 > use it?
18
19 When I first installed it, it was the only way to get WPA wireless.
20 And it allows a much simpler way to manage the three different
21 wireless networks that I would be using (I used to have to switch
22 config files for the wlan device based on which building I was in...)
23
24 I am sure there are other reasons, but I don't know any of them of the
25 top of my head. Perhaps you should visit the website for
26 wpa_supplicant to find out?
27
28 > At this point I'm pretty lost. I'm guess I'm making some headway
29 > with ndiswrapper being that it's loaded not complaining too much, but
30 > none of my iwconfig commands seem to change its state so far. I.e. - I
31 > tell it an essid but it doesn't show that it changed the essid:
32 >
33 > I think that if someone can get me clued in about wpa's and how to
34 > configure for real network I'll likely get there pretty quickly from
35 > here.
36
37 Look again at the example file for wpa_supplicant. The first half you
38 most likely won't need to change... there's one option in it that
39 might be important for NDIS users, so you might just want to search
40 for NDIS in the comments and see if that applies to you.
41
42 Then you can just scroll all the way to bottom, pick out an example
43 network-block configuration that most closely resembles the one you
44 have, and modify it to suit yourself. The configuration commands are
45 pretty self-explanatory, and if you are confused, croll up a page or
46 two, and you'll find the documentation for the commands.
47
48 W
49 --
50 fornicate people, fornicate!
51 ~Guillem Peiró Noguer of Spain. On the country's negative population growth
52 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 28 days, 17:12
53 --
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list