From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Guidance requested for setting up ndiswrapper wireless under Gentoo
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 03:37:41
1 On 7/6/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Help........I cannot seem to find any good instructions for setting
4 > up a wireless NIC using ndiswrapper on Gentoo. Can someone point me in
5 > the right direction?
6 >
7 > The main Gentoo doc I found:
8 >
9 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=4
10 >
11 > doesn't mention ndiswrapper. A wiki I found here:
12 >
13 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Wireless_Configuration_and_Startup#Configuration_using_iwconfig
14 >
15 > barely mentions ndiswrapper. Certainly not enough to get anything
16 > working. (I think...)
17 >
18 > I cannot use WPA supplicant as my NIC is not supported. I did have
19 > the NIC working under FC2 for a long time but am attempting to convert
20 > the machine to Gentoo. (well, it's converted but wireless is the only
21 > thing not working...)
22 >
23 > I think I must be missing some good page on how to do this.
24 >
25 > Thanks in advance,
26 > Mark
29 Continued.....
30
31 Again, thanks in advance for any help you can give.
32
33 1) I found a Windows driver online for my card - LinkSys DWL-G510
34 2) emerged ndiswrapper and installed the driver. The card and driver are found:
35
36 christmas ~ # ndiswrapper -l
37 Installed ndis drivers:
38 net8180 driver present, hardware present
39 christmas ~ #
40
41 3) The card is running but only 11Mb so far. Not important right now
42 but will be later.
43
44 christmas ~ # iwconfig
45 lo no wireless extensions.
46
47 eth0 no wireless extensions.
48
49 wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any
50 Mode:Auto Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
51 Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
52 RTS thr:2432 B Fragment thr:2432 B
53 Encryption key:off
54 Power Management:off
55 Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-95 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
56 Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
57 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
58
59 christmas ~ #
60
61 4) I emerged wpa_supplicant based on info here that says
62 wpa_supplicant can be used with ndiswrapper:
63
64 http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/WPA
65
66 5) When I emerged wpa_supplicant it said I needed to create a config
67 file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and gave a path to an
68 example, so I've extracted the example file and copied it to the
69 prescribed location. However the Gentoo pages say the right location
70 is /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. Which location is correct?
71
72 6) it's so deep in examples I'm currently not clear how to modify it
73 or even why I'm using it. What is a wpa_supplicant and why does one
74 use it?
75
76 At this point I'm pretty lost. I'm guess I'm making some headway
77 with ndiswrapper being that it's loaded not complaining too much, but
78 none of my iwconfig commands seem to change its state so far. I.e. - I
79 tell it an essid but it doesn't show that it changed the essid:
80
81 christmas System Stuff # iwconfig wlan0 essid LadySmithBliss
82 christmas System Stuff # iwconfig
83 lo no wireless extensions.
84
85 eth0 no wireless extensions.
86
87 wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any
88 Mode:Auto Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
89 Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
90 RTS thr:2432 B Fragment thr:2432 B
91 Encryption key:off
92 Power Management:off
93 Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-95 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
94 Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
95 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
96
97 christmas System Stuff #
98
99 I think that if someone can get me clued in about wpa's and how to
100 configure for real network I'll likely get there pretty quickly from
101 here.
102
103 Thanks again,
104 Mark