From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Guidance requested for setting up ndiswrapper wireless under Gentoo
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 03:55:46
1 On 7/7/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 7/6/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > Help........I cannot seem to find any good instructions for setting
5 > > up a wireless NIC using ndiswrapper on Gentoo. Can someone point me in
6 > > the right direction?
7 > >
8 > > The main Gentoo doc I found:
9 > >
10 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=4
11 > >
12 > > doesn't mention ndiswrapper. A wiki I found here:
13 > >
14 > > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Wireless_Configuration_and_Startup#Configuration_using_iwconfig
15 > >
16 > > barely mentions ndiswrapper. Certainly not enough to get anything
17 > > working. (I think...)
18 > >
19 > > I cannot use WPA supplicant as my NIC is not supported. I did have
20 > > the NIC working under FC2 for a long time but am attempting to convert
21 > > the machine to Gentoo. (well, it's converted but wireless is the only
22 > > thing not working...)
23 > >
24 > > I think I must be missing some good page on how to do this.
25 > >
26 > > Thanks in advance,
27 > > Mark
30 > Continued.....
31 >
32 > Again, thanks in advance for any help you can give.
33 >
34 > 1) I found a Windows driver online for my card - LinkSys DWL-G510
35 > 2) emerged ndiswrapper and installed the driver. The card and driver are found:
36 >
37 > christmas ~ # ndiswrapper -l
38 > Installed ndis drivers:
39 > net8180 driver present, hardware present
40 > christmas ~ #
41 >
42 > 3) The card is running but only 11Mb so far. Not important right now
43 > but will be later.
44 >
45 > christmas ~ # iwconfig
46 > lo no wireless extensions.
47 >
48 > eth0 no wireless extensions.
49 >
50 > wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any
51 > Mode:Auto Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
52 > Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
53 > RTS thr:2432 B Fragment thr:2432 B
54 > Encryption key:off
55 > Power Management:off
56 > Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-95 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
57 > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
58 > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
59 >
60 > christmas ~ #
61
62 Maybe its not running full speed because there's not access pointe associated...
65 > 4) I emerged wpa_supplicant based on info here that says
66 > wpa_supplicant can be used with ndiswrapper:
67
68 Never used it as my access point does not use WPA or even WEP, I keep
69 it open for my friends that eventually join a lan party here to use.
72 > http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/WPA
73 >
74 > 5) When I emerged wpa_supplicant it said I needed to create a config
75 > file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and gave a path to an
76 > example, so I've extracted the example file and copied it to the
77 > prescribed location. However the Gentoo pages say the right location
78 > is /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. Which location is correct?
79 >
80 > 6) it's so deep in examples I'm currently not clear how to modify it
81 > or even why I'm using it. What is a wpa_supplicant and why does one
82 > use it?
83
84 AFAIK, its a encryption method used by access points to increase
85 security (someone will point me if I'm wrong). It must be configured
86 in your access point to work. Another encryption method (pretty easy
87 to break, in fact, but still add some security) is WEP. It is all set
88 at the access point.
91 > At this point I'm pretty lost. I'm guess I'm making some headway
92 > with ndiswrapper being that it's loaded not complaining too much, but
93 > none of my iwconfig commands seem to change its state so far. I.e. - I
94 > tell it an essid but it doesn't show that it changed the essid:
95
96 What about simply:
97
98 ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.wlan0
99 /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start
100
101 ?
102
103 If you have no security and DHCP at the access point, it shall connect to it...
106 > christmas System Stuff # iwconfig wlan0 essid LadySmithBliss
107 > christmas System Stuff # iwconfig
108 > lo no wireless extensions.
109 >
110 > eth0 no wireless extensions.
111 >
112 > wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any
113 > Mode:Auto Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
114 > Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
115 > RTS thr:2432 B Fragment thr:2432 B
116 > Encryption key:off
117 > Power Management:off
118 > Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-95 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
119 > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
120 > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
121 >
122 > christmas System Stuff #
123 >
124 > I think that if someone can get me clued in about wpa's and how to
125 > configure for real network I'll likely get there pretty quickly from
126 > here.
127
128 You must know what type of security your access point has. After you
129 know this, you'll need to edit /etc/conf.d/wireless and configure it.
130 If (as I said before) you have DHCP, SSID broadcast and no encryption
131 at your access point, you don't need any of these, just the two
132 commands above, else you'll have to configure it, take a look at
133 /etc/conf.d/wireless.example.
136 Daniel da Veiga
137 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
143 --