From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: "Alan J. Wylie" <flzdjhmtax@××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help!!! My system won't boot. (?lvm?) :-(
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 10:32:51
1 Hello, Alan.
2
3 On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 20:16:07 +0000, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
4 > Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> writes:
5
6 > > My system isn't booting. In particular, most of the SSD partitions
7 > > won't mount, because they are not under /dev any more. The root
8 > > partition, /dev/md125 mounts, but that is all.
9
10 > > These partitions are lvm partitions under RAID-1 (software RAID). They
11 > > simply fail to appear in /dev/mapper on boot up.
12
13 > > I've managed to bring my system up using a Rescue-DVD followed by
14 > > chroot. This shows that the partions on the SSD are basically
15 > > undamaged.
16
17 > > I strongly suspect that my emerge update from last night is to blame.
18
19 > It was.
20
21 > Been there, done that myself.
22
23 > Mount your filesystems from the rescue boot and chroot into them.
24
25 > Re-emerge lvm2 with the "lvm" flag enabled.
26
27 Many thanks, indeed! That was the cause of my problem, and re-emerging
28 lvm2 with that USE flag set solved it completely.
29
30 > See
31 > https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2022-11-19-lvm2-default-USE-flags.html
32
33 Yes. There was even a news item about it back in November. I've read
34 it again, and it seems too vague to me. For example, it says:
35
36 >>> If you use LVM2 for any partitions, or if you use tools like
37 >>> 'lvchange', you should enable USE=lvm.
38
39 , without saying in detail anywhere what it means to "use" LVM2. I
40 wasn't aware of "using" LVM2 when I read that news item, so I just
41 carried on, blithely unaware of the coming catastrophe. ;-)
42
43 Still, it's OK, now.
44
45 > Some of these commands (or similar) in the rescue boot might be helpful:
46
47 > mkdir -p /mnt/{usr,var,home,work,boot,dev,sys,proc}
48
49 > mount /dev/mapper/vg0-root /mnt
50 > mount /dev/mapper/vg0-usr /mnt/usr
51 > mount /dev/mapper/vg0-var /mnt/var
52 > mount /dev/mapper/vg1-home /mnt/home
53 > mount /dev/mapper/vg1-work /mnt/work
54
55 > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
56
57 > mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
58 > mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
59 > mount -o bind /dev/shm /mnt/dev/shm
60 > mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
61 > mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
62
63 > PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin \
64 > SHELL=/bin/bash \
65 > chroot /mnt
66
67 Thanks for that, too. I actually created a small script with commands
68 like these when I was installing Gentoo ~5 years ago, and I adapted
69 that, saving the heavy labour of working out again that the flag in
70 mount that I need is -o bind. :-)
71
72 > --
73 > Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/
74
75 > Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
76 > Security is inversely proportional to convenience
79 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).