From: flzdjhmtax@××××××××.uk
To: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help!!! My system won't boot. (?lvm?) :-(
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 20:16:15
1 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> writes:
2
3 > My system isn't booting. In particular, most of the SSD partitions
4 > won't mount, because they are not under /dev any more. The root
5 > partition, /dev/md125 mounts, but that is all.
6 >
7 > These partitions are lvm partitions under RAID-1 (software RAID). They
8 > simply fail to appear in /dev/mapper on boot up.
9 >
10 > I've managed to bring my system up using a Rescue-DVD followed by
11 > chroot. This shows that the partions on the SSD are basically
12 > undamaged.
13 >
14 > I strongly suspect that my emerge update from last night is to blame.
15
16 It was.
17
18 Been there, done that myself.
19
20 Mount your filesystems from the rescue boot and chroot into them.
21
22 Re-emerge lvm2 with the "lvm" flag enabled.
23
24 See
25 https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2022-11-19-lvm2-default-USE-flags.html
26
27 Some of these commands (or similar) in the rescue boot might be helpful:
28
29 mkdir -p /mnt/{usr,var,home,work,boot,dev,sys,proc}
30
31 mount /dev/mapper/vg0-root /mnt
32 mount /dev/mapper/vg0-usr /mnt/usr
33 mount /dev/mapper/vg0-var /mnt/var
34 mount /dev/mapper/vg1-home /mnt/home
35 mount /dev/mapper/vg1-work /mnt/work
36
37 mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
38
39 mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
40 mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
41 mount -o bind /dev/shm /mnt/dev/shm
42 mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
43 mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
44
45 PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin \
46 SHELL=/bin/bash \
47 chroot /mnt
50 Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/
51
52 Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
53 Security is inversely proportional to convenience