From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Help!!! My system won't boot. (?lvm?) :-(
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 19:58:45
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 My system isn't booting. In particular, most of the SSD partitions
4 won't mount, because they are not under /dev any more. The root
5 partition, /dev/md125 mounts, but that is all.
6
7 These partitions are lvm partitions under RAID-1 (software RAID). They
8 simply fail to appear in /dev/mapper on boot up. (I don't remember the
9 exact error message, here).
10
11 I've managed to bring my system up using a Rescue-DVD followed by
12 chroot. This shows that the partions on the SSD are basically
13 undamaged.
14
15 I strongly suspect that my emerge update from last night is to blame.
16 There, lvm2-2.03.17-r1 was reinstalled after other packages
17 (dependencies) were updated. The order of these packages, taken from
18 /var/log/emerge.log was:
19
20 1. dev-libs/mpfr-4.1.1_p1
21 2. dev-lang/mujs-1.3.2
22 3. sys-apps/util-linux-2.38.1
23 4. sys-apps/systemd-utils-251.10
24 5. dev-python/installer-0.6.0
25 6. app-text/lib-paper-2.0.4
26 7. app-misc/ca-certificates-20211016.3.86
27 8. sys-fs/lvm2-2.03.17-r1
28
29 .. There were a few more packages after that, a total of 23. If any of
30 these is relevant, then it is surely 3. or 4. lvm2 itself was merely
31 rebuilt.
32
33 I've had a quick scan of the gentoo bugzilla, but not found anything
34 relevant there.
35
36 Please help me get my system booting again!
37
38 Thanks!
41 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).