From: Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] multiple monitor refresh rates and broken brains (was: fonts and bad eyes)
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 19:38:15
1 On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 4:21 AM, David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Oh, and _very_ importantly: get a _GOOD_ matt monitor if you haven't
4 > yet.
7 Apologies, David, for hijacking your really good question-thread, which I'm
8 also very eager to hear people's answers to. But, this reminds me of
9 something I've been pondering lately...
10
11 I think maybe refresh-rate discrepancies are subtly evil in multi-monitor
12 setups. When I look at my 59.9 kHz apple cinema next to my 60 kHz POS Dell
13 throwaway monitor, something spooky clearly happens in my brain -- if I get
14 up close and look carefully, the pixels seem to rather dramatically "swim"
15 near the bezels between the two monitors, in a way that reminds me of a
16 migraine prodrome (perhaps because, to some degree, that's exactly what I'm
17 inducing in my brain, by exposing it to high-frequency polyharmonic
18 interference (presumably, there's a >0.5 MHz harmonic between those two
19 displays, no wonder my brain doesn't like it!).
20
21 In practice, I don't seem to have had any huge problem from this (and I'm
22 going to get rid of that crappy Dell soon, anyhow) but I have heard reports
23 from people claiming this type of thing caused eye fatigue and headaches.
24
25 My semi-baseless theory is that, so long as the remainders of the greatest
26 common multiples of your various monitors' refresh-rates form nice clean
27 ratios like 1:2, 2:3, etc, you probably won't fry your wetware input
28 circuitry looking at them.
29
30 However, if, as above, there are ugly harmonics, I suspect it might be
31 pretty bad for some people. If, like me, you're too cheap for the 100%
32 solution of buying identical monitors, maybe just try to ensure everything
33 you buy supports standard 60kHz standard modes, or even go read the
34 1990's-era ModeLine authoring FAQ's and attempt to actually understand the
35 problem and fix it, if you're feeling ambitious :)
36
37 Anyhow... we now return to our regularly schedule programming...
38
39 -gmt