From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is this drive toast--addendum
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:51:54
1 Hans-Werner Hilse schrieb:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:06:00 -0700 (PDT) maxim wexler
5 > <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >>> If you wouldn't mind satisfying my curiosity, what
8 >>> does the jumper do?
9 >> Determines if the drive is master or slave in the
10 >> BIOS.
11 >>
12 >> But perhaps you're thinking of something else. I'm
13 >> astonished that someone doesn't know that.
14 >>
15 >> If you ever put a IDE drive in a PC you would have to
16 >> know what the jumper is for.
17 >
18 > There are often much more jumper settings on HDs. Many HDs e.g. have
19 > different geometry settings they can work with. Some of them need this
20 > geometry information to be set by a jumper setting. Others have special
21 > monitoring capabilities that are being used for factory checks or even
22 > interfacing the controller. It's not just Master/Slave...
23 >
24 > In fact, if you change the geometry setting on the HD, this might cause
25 > major trouble and look a bit like disk errors, I guess.
26 >
27 > -hwh
28
29 Or they restrict themselves to a lower capacity in order to work with
30 an old bios. Mine do, for example.
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list