From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is this drive toast--addendum
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:26:37
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:06:00 -0700 (PDT) maxim wexler
4 <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > If you wouldn't mind satisfying my curiosity, what
7 > > does the jumper do?
8 >
9 > Determines if the drive is master or slave in the
10 > BIOS.
11 >
12 > But perhaps you're thinking of something else. I'm
13 > astonished that someone doesn't know that.
14 >
15 > If you ever put a IDE drive in a PC you would have to
16 > know what the jumper is for.
17
18 There are often much more jumper settings on HDs. Many HDs e.g. have
19 different geometry settings they can work with. Some of them need this
20 geometry information to be set by a jumper setting. Others have special
21 monitoring capabilities that are being used for factory checks or even
22 interfacing the controller. It's not just Master/Slave...
23
24 In fact, if you change the geometry setting on the HD, this might cause
25 major trouble and look a bit like disk errors, I guess.
26
27 -hwh
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list