From: Jigme Datse <jrasku@××××××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Bouncing messages
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:49:51
1 On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 10:25:27 +0000
2 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday, 14 January 2023 07:00:29 GMT Nuno Silva wrote:
5 > > On 2023-01-13, Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 > > > Hello list,
7 > > >
8 > > > Ever since the new year I've been getting a bounce message from
9 > > > this list
10 > > > - 19 of them so far. The first of those listed one message twice,
11 > > > most of the others six times. The message was 200359.
12 > > >
13 > > > I don't know what that message was, but why is the system Out
14 > > > There
15 > having
16 > > > such a hard time with it?
17 > >
18 > > Was the message from the list software or from a Microsoft system?
19 >
20 > I don't know - I haven't received it as far as I know. The only
21 > archive entries I've found are of this conversation.
22
23 This seems like it might be a problem. A lot of the time when I get
24 "weird bounces" for messages for a mailing list, it isn't the list, but
25 somewhere down the line, which is bouncing because they either aren't
26 properly handling mailing lists, or something else (like in this
27 example given, failing to properly handle forwarding "bouncing onward"
28 sort of as the PINE parlance was used) list messages.
29
30 > > There's possibly one subscriber that has configured their
31 > > Exchange/Outlook account to forward e-mails to a Gmail account, and
32 > > forwarding as implemented by Microsoft apparently isn't done
33 > > correctly and so "SPF" checks run by Gmail are failing.
34 >
35 > Hmm. Would that cause the message to me to fail, in particular?
36
37 The message *to* you? I don't think so. Or it might be someone
38 sending from a server which somehow throws something into the header
39 that causes it to be bounced that the list manager doesn't properly
40 deal with?
41
42 > > I tried to send a message to this list about this topic back in
43 > > November but it never made through, perhaps it was filtered because
44 > > it quoted some of the error messages.